This is so interesting!
I keep invertibrates and this here scratches the same itch (oh look! It layed an egg! Oh look! It produces pheromones now!). It was very interesting watching those critters live and evolve.
I ran my simulation for about 8 hours and got 2 kinds of pheromone producing bibites and some where about to evolve more complicated behavior. Sadly I encountered a bug and now I am not able to see the stats of individual bibites anymore. The windows in the left upper corner just dont open anymore.
I tried closing and opening up the program as well as shutting down my pc, but it did not help. If I start a new simulation, everything works fine. Just the 8 hours simulation is now lost for me.
This is a shame, it was just starting to get realy interesting.
Talking about this, I am no programmer and dont know if this would be even possible without overburdening the system with data, but I am missing some more tools for showing and processing data.
I had some steep population drops in my first simulation and it would have been so intersting to know what caused it.
As I am running the simulation on the side, I was not able to pinpoint what caused it. A graph, showing me my population over time and a tool to look up which kinds of bibites had been present at any given point would have been awesome, but I guess this would be data overload as time and population progresses.
It feels like I am just missing interesting changes, as you would with running an experiment with real creatures, but because this is a simulation, having data you cant keep and process and that is just lost is a shame.
Anyway, this is such an interesting piece of software, I am so impressed and facinated.
I will show this a friend of mine, should be right up his alley. :)